Gynecomastia – Male Breast Reduction
Gynecomastia, a condition of over-developed or enlarged breasts in men, is fairly common in men of any age, though it is most often present in teens and in men over 50. It can be the result of hormonal changes, heredity conditions, disease or the use of certain drugs.
Gynecomastia can cause emotional discomfort and impair self-confidence. Some men may even avoid certain physical activities and intimacy simply to hide their condition.
Gynecomastia is characterized by:
- Excess localized fat
- Excess glandular tissue development
- A combination of both excess fat and glandular tissue
- Gynecomastia may be present unilaterally (one breast) or bilaterally (both breasts)
Surgical correction of gynecomastia is best performed on:
- Men whose condition cannot be corrected through alternative medical treatments
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing