Why pick an ASPS Member Surgeon
Choosing to have plastic surgery is an important decision, and so is selecting a plastic surgeon. Whether you are considering a cosmetic or reconstructive procedure, you want a surgeon with the skills and training to help achieve your goals, such as a surgeon who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
The ASPS is the largest plastic surgery specialty organizations in the world. The mission of the ASPS is to advance quality care to plastic surgery patients by encouraging high standards of training, ethics, physician practice, and research in plastic surgery. The society advocates for patient safety, and requires its members to perform surgery in approved surgical facilities that have passed rigorous external review of equipment and staffing.
The ASPS also has a strong commitment to patient education. Our office provides ASPS brochures and special links on our website direct you to their website for more information.
Plastic surgeons who are members of the ASPS are board certified and have undergone extensive training and have been evaluated by their peers on their practice of plastic surgery, from both the technical and ethical perspectives. Every ASPS member must meet the following rigid requirements:
- Graduated from an accredited medical school
- Completed a combination of at least five years of general surgery and plastic surgery residency training
- Passed comprehensive oral and written examinations given by The American Board of Plastic Surgery or The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Performs plastic surgery in surgical facilities that are accredited, licensed or Medicare certified, when the procedure requires anesthesia other than minor local anesthesia
- Maintain 150 hours of Continuing Medical Education (CME) for every three-year cycle of their membership
- Adheres to the ASPS Code of Ethics
The surgeons at Plastic Surgeons of the Hudson Valley are all board certified and members of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
©2004 American Society of Plastic Surgeons®